Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Andre Dawson joins the Baseball Hall of Fame today


Andre Dawson, an all-round outfielder who provided speed, power and superb defense, was elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame on Wednesday.  Dawson, who won the National League Most Valuable Player award in 1987 with the Chicago Cubs, received 420 votes or 77.9 percent of ballots cast to win election in his ninth year on the ballot. Seventy-five percent was required for election.

I can't tell you how happy I am to hear this.  Andre is not only a great baseball player, but also a great guy.  I admired him when I was growing up and I still do.  I have several of his baseball cards including game used and autographs like the one above.  As a bonus for me, since he was elected he will make an appearance at the Tristar Baseball Card Show in Houston, Texas at the George R. Brown Convention Center on January 23rd.  Can't wait to see him.  Welcome to the Baseball Hall of Fame.  You deserve it.

No comments: